Re: Equivalent of Oracle's export/import in sql server

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Sat, 25 Aug 2007 11:48:50 -0500

zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am an Oracle DBA learning SQL Server 2000. I used DTS as well as bcp
> export/improt data. However, they work one table at a time. I want
> export all
> the tables/views/stored procedure etc inside a database (i.e.,
> Northwind)
> and then drop Northwind, and then import the entire database
> Northwind.
>
> I looked at DTS Wizard. Is there any way to export all the
> tables/views/packages etc using one "command", is answer no?. I find
> DTS is table based, so
> it only exports schema of a table and its data. How about views? I
> want to
> export all the tables at the same time and then selectively import.
> Oracle
> lets you do that, but cannot find this in sqlserver (I do not want to
> copy the entire database from one sql server to another, only copy
> information in a file and then selectively restore from it).
>
> I looked at backup/restore. Backup kets you backup entire database,
> but there is no way to restore just a table from this backup.
>
> Really appreciate if you can point me in the right direction how to do
> this in sql server 2000.
>
> I posted this question in sql server forums, did not get a
> satisfactory answer, so trying in this Oracle forum.

Detach the Northwind database. That will also drop the database. From there, you can copy the database's datafile(s) and transaction log file(s) anywhere you want. When you want to "restore" the contents, simply attach the database to the server in question.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net