Re: Equivalent of Oracle's export/import in sql server

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 19:53:59 -0700

On Aug 24, 10:32 pm, zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> I am an Oracle DBA learning SQL Server 2000. I used DTS as well as bcp
> export/improt data. However, they work one table at a time. I want
> export all
> the tables/views/stored procedure etc inside a database (i.e.,
> Northwind)
> and then drop Northwind, and then import the entire database
> Northwind.
>
> I looked at DTS Wizard. Is there any way to export all the
> tables/views/packages etc using one "command", is answer no?. I find
> DTS is table based, so
> it only exports schema of a table and its data. How about views? I
> want to
> export all the tables at the same time and then selectively import.
> Oracle
> lets you do that, but cannot find this in sqlserver (I do not want to
> copy the entire database from one sql server to another, only copy
> information in a file and then selectively restore from it).
>
> I looked at backup/restore. Backup kets you backup entire database,
> but there is no way to restore just a table from this backup.
>
> Really appreciate if you can point me in the right direction how to do
> this in sql server 2000.
>
> I posted this question in sql server forums, did not get a
> satisfactory answer, so trying in this Oracle forum.

I know about partial restore in sql server which will let you restore the entire filegroup (tablespace in Oracle's terminology) to a database with diifferent name. Then one can do export/import to transfer a few tables from new database to original. I do not see this to be same as Oracle's export/import. Received on Fri Aug 24 2007 - 21:53:59 CDT