Re: Oracle vs MySql Performance

From: Paul Linehan <plinehan__A_at_T__yahoo__D.OT__COM>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 22:26:52 GMT

sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl wrote:

> Actually it still is a buzzword. I am currently coping with an
> application supporting both Oracle and Sqlserver, which shall rename
> nameless. Oracle is primarily used as a flat file system, no Oracle
> feature is being used.

Been there, done that. Worked on an ERM system for a *_HUGE_* public utility (23 Bn GBP turnover) that didn't even make use of foreign keys - just primary keys that were like sequences 000000001, ....2 except as strings.

> Sqlserver doesn't support sequences. Consequently aforementioned
> vendor implemented a 'sequence table'. We did away with that in 1989
> when Oracle 6 was introduced.

Tom Kyte goes into that in some detail in his Expert Oracle book.

Paul... Received on Fri Aug 24 2007 - 17:26:52 CDT