Re: Oracle RAC and mixed server systems?

From: Rob Turk <wipe_this_r.turk_at_rtist.nl>
Date: Fri, 24 Aug 2007 23:09:36 +0200

"Robert Klemme" <shortcutter_at_googlemail.com> wrote in message news:5j8ucpF3svq59U1_at_mid.individual.net...
> On 24.08.2007 19:53, DA Morgan wrote:
>> Rob Turk wrote:
>>> We have a situation where Oracle RAC runs on a set of HP/UX Itanium
>>> systems and one of our tools is no longer supported on this platform.
>>> Would it be possible to configure a different hardeware platform (HP/UX
>>> PA-Risc or maybe Linux) and allow it access to the RAC shared storage
>>> environment? Is this in any way supported or ever tried before?
>>>
>>> Thanks,
>>> Rob
>>
>> No. All nodes must be the same o/s.
>>
>> No doubt you can find a work-around but if you do your support from
>> Oracle will evaporate.
>
> Rob, what exactly does your tool with the storage? Just curious.
>
> Kind regards
>
> robert

It's a backup application. The vendor recently decided to drop support for their Oracle RMAN integration module on HP Itanium (lack of market penetration) and one of our clients has several of these running in production. Rather than force the client to go to another backup tool (lots of work with 150+ servers) I was looking for an alternative way to get to the Oracle data safely. Oracle RMAN on HP PA-Risc and Linux are still supported by the vendor.

Rob Received on Fri Aug 24 2007 - 16:09:36 CDT