Re: Import extent size problems

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 11:03:15 -0500

stephen O'D wrote:

>> Reading the documentation is always worthwhile:
>>
>> http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/exp_im...
>>
>> Notice that compress defaults to y, and you're painfully aware of the
>> consequences.  You need to set this parameter to n on the command line
>> or in your parfile:
>>
>> exp .../... file=.... compress=n .....
>>
>> This will prevent exp from 'resizing' the initial extent.

> I know what compress = y/n does - but if my original create table
> statement on the big database said
>
> "create table x .... storage initial 80M .... "
>
> Then will export not generate the DDL to have the same initial extent
> size if compress is N?

Since you are using LMT's, Oracle uses your INITIAL extent as a guide for allocating space when creating the table. Basically, Oracle will allocate enough space to have at least INITIAL megabytes allocated. If yo do not want this behavior, then precreate your tables as needed and then import with IGNORE=Y.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net