Re: what characterset to use?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:53:05 +0200

On 23 Aug 2007 10:21:56 GMT, Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid> wrote:

>2) If you (as misguided admins too often do) mistakenly set NLS_LANG

> to the database character set, no character conversion AND NO
> INTEGRITY CHECKS are performed and you can store all sort of garbage
> in your database without even noticing. It will cause problems later on,
> though. This is an Oracle bug in my opinion, although Oracle will
> probably disagree with me on this.

It's not a bug. Setting the database characterset to the character set of the client is, especially when the server O/S doesn't support it. Setting the client characterset to the characterset of the database, especially when the O/S doesn't support the database characterset is a bug too.
Eventually it is a Mickeysoft bug as Mickeysoft is not supporting the correct ISO characterset.
It is NOT an Oracle bug!

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA