Re: what characterset to use?

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 20:48:01 +0200

On Thu, 23 Aug 2007 07:02:10 -0700, Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net> wrote:

>I'm not saying it is feasible to have a database set to use US7ASCII
>as its character set. I'm simply saying that in the scenario that
>Sybrand listed, 1 database and 1 client both being set to us7ascii, I
>don't see the issue. UNLESS you introduce a client using a different
>character set.

Ok, again

Client set to US7ASCII
Database set to US7ASCII
You send an eight bit character.
Oracle sees 7 bit client character set, 7 bit server character set --->
HEY, I DON'T HAVE TO CONVERT ANY CHARACTER. What will happen if all of a sudden someone decides to export using 7 bit NLS_LANG and import into 8 bit database.

Please don't imply I'm making up fairy tales, I'm talking stories for grown ups!!!!
REAL WORLD HORROR STORIES with customers getting GROSS!!!

And yes: this explanation is on Metalink!!!