Re: Import extent size problems

From: <fitzjarrell_at_cox.net>
Date: Thu, 23 Aug 2007 08:08:20 -0700

On Aug 23, 9:52 am, stephen O'D <stephen.odonn..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> I am trying to export everything from quite a large database (9.2.0.7)
> apart from the data using export and import it into a new database
> (10.2.0.1).
>
> I have created all the tablespaces in the target database as locally
> managed uniform extents. I thought that Oracle would then ignore the
> storage clause on create table/index statements etc and as there is no
> data, just allocate a single extent for each table.
>
> However when I run the import, some of the tables have large extent
> sizes defined on the source database and Oracle seems to be creating
> the first extent at the size it gives in the import ddl command.
>
> I don't have enough space on the target database for this, so I need
> to override the initial extent sizes somehow. Is there any sane way
> to do this (apart from somehow pre creating all the objects - there
> are over 600 tables in the schema!)?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Stephen.

Reading the documentation is always worthwhile:

http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/server.102/b14215/exp_imp.htm#CEGFIAGE

Notice that compress defaults to y, and you're painfully aware of the consequences. You need to set this parameter to n on the command line or in your parfile:

exp .../... file=.... compress=n .....

This will prevent exp from 'resizing' the initial extent.

David Fitzjarrell Received on Thu Aug 23 2007 - 10:08:20 CDT