Re: what characterset to use?

From: Laurenz Albe <invite_at_spam.to.invalid>
Date: 23 Aug 2007 13:53:17 GMT

Ben <balvey_at_comcast.net> wrote:
> If you database is setup as us7ascii then no 8 bit data can be stored
> in the first place. correct? If the client was setup as us7ascii also,
> then I don't see the problem. Client can't read or write 8 bit data
> and database can't store 8 bit data, there wouldn't be any need for a
> conversion. What am I missing here?

Integrity.

The problem will be that the database has no idea about the encoding you use for text data.

The problem will manifest as soon as you try to retrieve these data in some other context - with a client on some other platform, with a client that uses a different character set (say, JDBC).

Yours,
Laurenz Albe Received on Thu Aug 23 2007 - 08:53:17 CDT