Re: Windows defrag with 10g

From: Preston <dontwantany_at_nowhere.invalid>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:45:46 GMT

Adam Sandler wrote:

> Hello,
>
> Someone asked a question the other day for which we didn't necessarily
> have an answer. Someone was concerned about low level OS processes
> 10g can execute and if a defrag was run on the drive hosting the
> database (using Windows Server 2003 R2), would that interfere in any
> way with what Oracle is doing. What's your take?

I tested this on NT4 with 8.1.7 a few years ago, just to satisfy my curiosity. Most of the time it didn't cause any problems, but once it toasted the database. Not exactly a scientific test, but it did prove that defragging an open database /can/ corrupt it, at least on 8.1.7.

I didn't bother trying to repair the database so don't know what the damage was.

--
Preston.