Re: Windows defrag with 10g

From: bdbafh <bdbafh_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 19:01:55 -0000

Adam Sandler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Someone asked a question the other day for which we didn't necessarily
> have an answer. Someone was concerned about low level OS processes
> 10g can execute and if a defrag was run on the drive hosting the
> database (using Windows Server 2003 R2), would that interfere in any
> way with what Oracle is doing. What's your take?
>
> Thanks!

Might ASM be in use, also?

I'd put this up there with a joke by Steven Wright:

"I like to hang out in the basement with the humidifier and dehumidifier running and watch them duke it out."

Imagine if the storage were on an HP unit with "Auto-RAID" and it was being changed between RAID 5 and RAID 10 because it was being written to a great deal.

How would it know when it was done defragmenting? (what is the terminating condition?)
("how do it know" - like with a Thermos - how does it know to keep the contents hot or cold)

-bdbafh Received on Wed Aug 22 2007 - 14:01:55 CDT