Re: Migration from 9i to 10g.

From: Jan Krueger <jk_at_stud.uni-hannover.de>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 20:26:29 +0200

DA Morgan wrote:
> Serguei.Goumeniouk_at_cibc.ca wrote:

>>     Dear Experts,
>> Our organization is moving from Oracle 9i to 10g. I know about some
>> technical issues during migration of the database itself, but what
>> about the user application level (SQL/PL scripts, triggers, sequences,
>> indexes and so on)? Is there something Experts could recommend to do
>> or to avoid? Are there any user related problems in the 10g
>> environment?
>>   Regards,
>>    Serguei.

> Strip all 9i hints from all code.
>
> Dump all cursor loops and replace with array processing using BULK
> COLLECT and FORALL.

You should have done so already in 9i. And if you didn't have a performance issue in 9i there is no need to do it in 10g.

> Turn on warnings before compiling any code and follow up on all
> warning messages. To do this look at this page:
> http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_warning.html
> The demos will show you how it works.

Interesting idea.

Also I would recommend to perform a test upgrade with a duplicated environment and perform a full regression test.

Jan Received on Wed Aug 22 2007 - 13:26:29 CDT