Re: Windows defrag with 10g

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 10:12:03 -0700

On Aug 22, 11:30 am, Brian Peasland <d..._at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> Adam Sandler wrote:
> > Hello,
>
> > Someone asked a question the other day for which we didn't necessarily
> > have an answer. Someone was concerned about low level OS processes
> > 10g can execute and if a defrag was run on the drive hosting the
> > database (using Windows Server 2003 R2), would that interfere in any
> > way with what Oracle is doing. What's your take?
>
> > Thanks!
>
> I've never had to run a disk defrag on any Windows server which I've had
> Oracle running. But if I were to do so, I would shut down the
> instance(s) before starting the defrag. You don't want another process
> moving any portion of the datafile that Oracle is in the middle of
> writing to.
>
> HTH,
> Brian
>
> --
>
> Brian Peasland
> d...@nospam.peasland.nethttp://www.peasland.net
>
> Remove the "nospam." from the email address to email me.
>
> "I can give it to you cheap, quick, and good.
> Now pick two out of the three" - Unknown
>
> --

On the other hand, what would be true of defraggers and files open by oracle would be just as true of any open file, regardless of the owning process. I'm not sure how the defrag utilities deal with open files.

But that theory aside, I agree with you on both points .. if I *were* to defrag a server, I'd shut down Oracle first.... and what would be the point of running the defrag in the first place? Oh, yeah. The app is running unacceptably slow and we don't know how to figure out the problem, so we'll defrag the disks because we remember that that used to be recommended on pc's with a single hard drive and a nonmultitasking  OS.

I think defragging the disk on a server ranks right up there with putting data and indexes in separate tablespaces. Received on Wed Aug 22 2007 - 12:12:03 CDT