Re: Windows defrag with 10g

From: Brian Peasland <dba_at_nospam.peasland.net>
Date: Wed, 22 Aug 2007 11:30:31 -0500

Adam Sandler wrote:
> Hello,
>
> Someone asked a question the other day for which we didn't necessarily
> have an answer. Someone was concerned about low level OS processes
> 10g can execute and if a defrag was run on the drive hosting the
> database (using Windows Server 2003 R2), would that interfere in any
> way with what Oracle is doing. What's your take?
>
> Thanks!

I've never had to run a disk defrag on any Windows server which I've had Oracle running. But if I were to do so, I would shut down the instance(s) before starting the defrag. You don't want another process moving any portion of the datafile that Oracle is in the middle of writing to.

HTH,
Brian

Brian Peasland
dba_at_nospam.peasland.net