Re: Oracle export/Import question:

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 14:17:25 -0700

haganahtrainer_at_gmail.com wrote:
> I specified a full export from one database instance (exp user/
> passwd_at_sid FULL=Y FILE=fu.dmp)
>
> My question is,if I import this into another instance, will this
> overwrite the "System" schema in the new instance? Is there a way to
> omit certain schemas that were exported in the .dmp file?
>
> There were over 50 schemas that I needed so the full option seemed to
> be the easiest route, I do not;however, want to overwrite the system
> account on the new instance...
>
> Thanks!

Review the options available with EXP and IMP. You can control which schemas are exported and imported and whether existing objects are destroyed.

http://tahiti.oracle.com

Personally, though, I would write an export that does the job I want and need ... not one that takes everything and leaves open the possibility of a mess later.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington