Re: Cache Hit Ratio from system views

From: Steve Howard <stevedhoward_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 18:57:18 -0000

On Aug 21, 2:18 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Bob Jones wrote:
> > High BCHR is always better than low - provided everything else being equal.
>
> Nonsense. Sorry but this is total mythological nonsense. A high BCHR may
> be an indicator of nothing more than you write really lousy code.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

Correct, but he has consistently stated that "all other things equal...". In other words, let's assume that you have read every book by Jonathan Lewis, Tom Kyte, all the Oracle documentation (I know that is a sore spot for some people), ensured your hardware is properly configured, fill in whatever else you want...

If your BCHR is 50% on one system and 99% on another (once again, identically coded, hardware, etc.)...

is that not an indication that your DBA *may* have forgotten a couple of zeroes for db_cache_size parameter?

I am truly curious, as this should be a yes or no answer. If the answer is anything other than no, then it does have *some* value. Received on Tue Aug 21 2007 - 13:57:18 CDT