Re: Migration from 9i to 10g.

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 11:28:18 -0700

Serguei.Goumeniouk_at_cibc.ca wrote:
> Dear Experts,
> Our organization is moving from Oracle 9i to 10g. I know about some
> technical issues during migration of the database itself, but what
> about the user application level (SQL/PL scripts, triggers, sequences,
> indexes and so on)? Is there something Experts could recommend to do
> or to avoid? Are there any user related problems in the 10g
> environment?
> Regards,
> Serguei.

Strip all 9i hints from all code.

Dump all cursor loops and replace with array processing using BULK COLLECT and FORALL.

Turn on warnings before compiling any code and follow up on all warning messages. To do this look at this page: http://www.psoug.org/reference/dbms_warning.html The demos will show you how it works.

Note: 11g contains new warnings not present in 10g so some demos will not work in 10g. PLW-06002 is one that works in both 10g and 11g.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington