Re: Oracle vs MySql Performance

From: bugbear <bugbear_at_trim_papermule.co.uk_trim>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:45:26 +0100

Johne_uk wrote:

> Thanks for the prompt replies guys, guess you are really telling what
> what i already know.
>
> The phyiscal db structure (indexes etc.) was coverted as is from
> Mysql. The bulk of initial performance problems were removed by
> gathering stats on oracle.
>
> I guess we need to look at the issues from two plans of attack. First,
> look at optimisations for the oracle schema and second, take a look at
> the java layer and its interaction with Oracle.

Don't forget that it is (rather) easy
to exploit database specific
features/properties using ANSI SQL

It would not surprise me if the
ostensibly portable ANSI SQL
you have is (in fact) tuned for
MySQL.

By analogy, long ago, I worked with a particular 'C' compiler for particular CPU. I
became very familiar with the quirks of
both, and could write 'C' that
generated assembler that ran very quickly.

The 'C' was ostensibly portable, but
(in fact) highly specific.

     BugBear Received on Tue Aug 21 2007 - 10:45:26 CDT