Re: Oracle vs MySql Performance

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 16:35:53 +0200

"Johne_uk" <edgarj_at_tiscali.co.uk> schreef in bericht news:1187706614.786978.29690_at_d55g2000hsg.googlegroups.com...

> On 21 Aug, 13:46, "Shakespeare" <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> "sybrandb" <sybra..._at_gmail.com> schreef in
>> berichtnews:1187699217.556380.259900_at_19g2000hsx.googlegroups.com...

>> > Oracle compared to MySQL <--> Apples to Pears.
>>
>> > The architecture is completely different.
>>
>> > 'Porting' Sqlserver, or MySQL to Oracle NEVER works!!!!
>> > If you read any book by Tom Kyte, you will know why.
>> > Set up a database agnostic app and you will notice you don't use the
>> > power of a database anymore, and you will primarily use it as an
>> > expensive replacement of a system running on punch cards.
>>
>> > --
>> > Sybrand Bakker
>> > Senior Oracle DBA
>>
>> Still one could expect the system to run at least as fast as the punch
>> cards...
>>
>> Advise: have an Oracle DBA to look at the server and the SQL to analyze
>> this
>> problem. For example: did you run statistics on the Oracle DB? It might
>> even
>> be a problem in the communication between the (java) application layer
>> and
>> the database. Did you take a closer look at the indexes? Some of them
>> might
>> not be optimal for Oracle. Are all foreign key relations well-defined,
>> indexed etc? What version of the Oracle DB are you using anyway?
>>
>> Porting an application from MySql to Oracle is never optimal, but the
>> port
>> could be a starting point to rebuild (parts of) your application, eg by
>> porting code (takes reprogramming) from your application to the database.
>>
>> Shakespeare- Hide quoted text -

> Thanks for the prompt replies guys, guess you are really telling what
> what i already know.
>
> The phyiscal db structure (indexes etc.) was coverted as is from
> Mysql. The bulk of initial performance problems were removed by
> gathering stats on oracle.
>
> I guess we need to look at the issues from two plans of attack. First,
> look at optimisations for the oracle schema and second, take a look at
> the java layer and its interaction with Oracle.
>
> rgds

You're welcome. I hope your database did not end up with column names in qoutes and things like that, and uses varchar2 columns and not char.... and other stuff like that....

Plans of Attack seem ok to me...

Wish you good luck and success,

Shakespeare Received on Tue Aug 21 2007 - 09:35:53 CDT