Re: expdp question

From: <ivl5_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 01:52:12 -0700

On Aug 16, 2:07 am, Brian Peasland <d..._at_nospam.peasland.net> wrote:
> Chuck wrote:
> > We're finally getting around to installing 10g and I had a question
> > about expdp. We used to write our exports to named pipes so they could
> > be compressed with gzip. Data pump doesn't support that. Is there *any*
> > way around that limitation or do I need to continue using export/import
> > if I want compressed files?

If absolutely *any* way to compress *on a fly*, then you may want to try something along these lines:
Start expdp:
- specify DUMPFILE with one or more names containing substitution variable(s).
- specify FILESIZE

  1. small enough to split dump into many pieces according to your disk space limitations
  2. large enough so dump fits into max number of dumpfiles; it's 99 per every %U specified.

Watch when a dumpfile is finished. This is a tricky bit; dumpfiles are opened and closed lots of times and it's difficult to determine when they're finally closed for good. Just waiting when fuser returns nothing won't help you. I would take a look at status command in interactive-command interface ('size' and 'bytes written'); just remember that the last few dumpfiles are smaller than FILESIZE.

When dumpfile is finally closed, start gzipping it.

This should work with parallel workers as well because AFAIK only one worker writes to a particular dumpfile.

All-in-all I'd rather get enough disk space and gzip after expdp is finished.

> > TIA
>
> Upgrade to 11g? It does allow for compression of data pump dump files.

It's a good joke :) The following heated exchange just proves this.

Regards,
Igor