Re: Want to delete system02.dbf in oracle 8i Personal

From: Shakespeare <whatsin_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 21 Aug 2007 09:32:54 +0200

"joel garry" <joel-garry_at_home.com> schreef in bericht news:1187648032.717074.96840_at_m37g2000prh.googlegroups.com...

> On Aug 20, 7:37 am, "Shakespeare" <what..._at_xs4all.nl> wrote:

>> "capnat" <captain_2..._at_yahoo.com> schreef in
>> berichtnews:1187618628.036687.214740_at_i13g2000prf.googlegroups.com...

>> > Sybrand,
>>
>> > Thanks, I have reduced the size. Is it nowadays no one is using 8i,
>> > then, which would be the best to practice SQL ?
>>
>> > nat
>>
>> If your goal is to practice SQL, I would suggest you download 10 g
>> Express
>> Edition (XE). It's still supported (as far as I know) and easy (...) to
>> install and the download is not too large (165Mb). You'll find it on
>> otn.oracle.com. XE has some limitationson memory and data sizes, but will
>> serve your purposes.
>> You'll have to run it on Windows or Linux, no other platform supported.
>>
>> Shakespeare
>
> Explicitly not supported, explicitly for learning, developers and some
> ISV's.  See
> http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/xe/index.html
> .  The faq notes that there is a free online community forum for
> "support."
>

>>From a post on the forum: "Oracle will wait for 11gR2 to realize new
> XE version."
>
> I'm with those who say it is not a good way for DBA's to learn their
> craft, even though that is trumpeted as a perfect use for it.  You can
> download more appropriate versions for that.

OK, I'll put my trumpet back in its case.... no support indeed. From the posts I concluded that OP wanted to learn SQL, and XE is easy to install, and will guaranteed not flood his disks ;-) thanks to the internal limits.
With support I actually meant: you can stilll download it, contrary to 8i. I don't think someone learning SQL will want to pay for a support contract. BTW: is there any form of support for other versions from OTN? (Just a question, not starting a discussion!!!)

Shakespeare