Re: Oracle NULL vs '' revisited

From: Serge Rielau <srielau_at_ca.ibm.com>
Date: Sat, 18 Aug 2007 23:57:17 -0400

DA Morgan wrote:
> Wait ... isn't that DB2 (Viper) including new "compatibility" features?
> Why yes I think it is. <g>

For the record: I did _not_ mention DB2... But since you bring it up...
DB2 Viper 2 has indeed compatibility features. We are very careful though to allow customers to pick which features to enable.
What's mathematically right (which is the debate started by _Oracle_users_ here) has little to do with what's popular (in the same sense as one-party elections popular).
Further note that I at no point stated:
"It's wrong because the SQL standard says so". W.r.t. the arrow and the target the underlying math is a tad older that Larry I dare say. The standard fixed his mathematical error. Sometimes Oracle chooses to follow (like on outer join syntax), sometimes not.
You could say Oracle has shot their arrow, barely hit the target and over time redefined the bulls eye....

Lastly:
I speak three languages, so does DB2
My national pride has not been hurt by learning English. My professional pride has not been hurt by teaching DB2 CONNECT BY and (+). In fact I have enjoyed it very much. I chuckle on both fronts...

Cheers
Serge

--
Serge Rielau