Re: Oracle NULL vs '' revisited

From: <xhoster_at_gmail.com>
Date: 19 Aug 2007 01:03:48 GMT

Thomas Kellerer <FJIFALSDGVAF_at_spammotel.com> wrote:
> Matthew Harrison wrote on 17.08.2007 16:49:
> > Ok, I'm developing another oracle application where the distinction
> > between NULL and '' will be important.
>
> I would be interested: if this is important for character columns, then I
> assume this is important for other columns as well.

Sure it is.

> How do you implement that distinction for e.g. NUMBER or DATE columns?

Since Oracle didn't screw NUMBER up by deciding that zero doesn't exist and should be magically converted to NULL, there is no need to do anything special, it just works. I've never needed to specify the exact date of the big bang, so I don't whether Oracle screwed that one up too, or not.

Xho

Usenet Newsgroup Service                        $9.95/Month 30GB