Re: Oracle NULL vs '' revisited

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 19:37:32 -0700

On Aug 17, 10:06 pm, Matthew Harrison <m.harris..._at_craznar.com> wrote:
> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> >It has always worked for me. Oracle may have messed up
> > things but if a disciplined approach by keeping null indicator
> > separate from the actual value is followed all through the code,
> > things will still work.
>
> So , I have a stored proc with a parameter MSG.
>
> I have a table with values MSG and MSGISNULL.
>
> How do I tell the parameter is '' or NULL ?
>
> Or does the client user have to pass two parameters and do the test in
> their own langauge.
>
> The catch here is that if it was a number, I just wouldn't put a value
> in ... that is ... the stored procedure would not have been called.
>
> So - how do I detect, and act on someone NOT calling the stored
> procedure and set a flag ?
>
> --
> Pinging self [127.0.0.1] with 32 bites of banana cake:
>
> Ping statistics for 127.0.0.1:
> Slices: Sent = 4, Received = 0, Lost = 4 (100% loss),

Not sure I fully undesratnd , but I would think that client code has to pass two paremetrs, one indicating whethere value is null or not , and the other the actaul value. You may even consiser an indicator column in the table for this varchar2 column, so you can look at the value of the indicator column to decide whther " msg is not null. Received on Fri Aug 17 2007 - 21:37:32 CDT