Re: Oracle NULL vs '' revisited

From: <zigzagdna_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 17:55:08 -0700

On Aug 17, 8:08 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> zigzag..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
> > On Aug 17, 5:23 pm, "David Portas"
> > <REMOVE_BEFORE_REPLYING_dpor..._at_acm.org> wrote:
> >> <zigzag..._at_yahoo.com> wrote in message

> >> Agreed. Any value is not the same thing as null

> >> Huh? But Oracle's approach is that the empty string value IS the same thing
> >> as null!
>
> >> --
> >> David Portas
>
> > I was not aware of that, but I do not belive same applied to other
> > data types such as integer,
>
> Then you would be incorrect: It does.
>
> Though I wouldn't suggest inserting an empty string into a DATE column.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington
> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org- Hide quoted text -

Why did then Oracle developed host variables, indicator variables etc. Keeping null indicator separate from the actual value is the right approach. When I have to insert null in a column, either I do not use that column in insert or use indicator variable (in PRO*C) or null in PL/SQL. It has always worked for me. Oracle may have messed up things but if a disciplined approach by keeping null indicator separate from the actual value is followed all through the code, things will still work. Received on Fri Aug 17 2007 - 19:55:08 CDT