Re: Some of my favourite 11g new features

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 05:34:13 -0700

On Aug 17, 5:39 pm, matthias.h..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> - Allow Sequences in PL/SQL Expressions
> - Browser-Based Enterprise Manager Integrated Interface for LogMiner
> - Read-Only Tables (ALTER TABLE ... READ ONLY, works even for the
> schema owner)
> - RMAN Improved Backup Compression Performance
>
> Although I don't see us using 11g in the next 2 years or so, we use a
> lot of third-party software and only finished the migration to 10g in
> Q1 2007.
>
> I guess even 9i will be around for quite some time.
>
> Matthias

Read-only tables that are read-only for the length of time it tales for someone to work out that 'alter table read write' is a valid piece of syntax really gets up my nostrils.

If you declare something to be read-only, it had better actually be read-only, otherwise the Sarbanes-Oxley crew will be down on you like a tonne of hot bricks.

The ONLY actual way of making a table read-only is to build it onto a piece of read-only media. End of story. Anything that makes you think its read-only when it's actually not is very, very bad news and not something to be welcomed at all.

Just my tuppence-worth
HJR Received on Fri Aug 17 2007 - 07:34:13 CDT