Re: Lookup tables in multiple databases?

From: <alsaleha_at_hotmail.com>
Date: Fri, 17 Aug 2007 05:12:47 -0700

On Aug 17, 12:20 am, CrazyKarma <ska..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
> Here are things that I might do, if I were you
>
> 1. Consolidate all the data for a given lookup table from other
> databases to one database that you think is going to act like a
> primary source.
> 2. Make others point this master lookup table through
> dblink(synonyms)
> 3. Drop the other clones that exist in other databases
>
> This solution doesn't call for creating a new database just to hold
> lookup tables.
>
> - CrazyKarma

Here the talk is about non-distrusted environment where all applications reside on a single server.

What about distributed one? That is, different databases of applications physically located on different servers. I have seen companies implementing this type of architecture where for PERFORMANCE reasons they decide to scatter databases across servers.

Now, we all know that it is more costly to communicate across servers than on a single one, thus the issue of going with non-shared entities becomes an advantage over shared ones. Even Oracle TRMs say so. Just look at any of these trms and you can see duplicate tables in different ERP modules, i.e... It is the BUSINESS NEEDS that should drive your design.

Grawsha Received on Fri Aug 17 2007 - 07:12:47 CDT