Re: "Depreciated" Parameters In SPFILE

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 16 Aug 2007 19:35:02 -0700

On Aug 17, 12:28 pm, hjr.pyth..._at_gmail.com wrote:
> On Aug 15, 11:17 pm, Charles Hooper <hooperc2..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:

> > > The old _AREA_SIZE parameters are silently ignored if the new
> > > parameter is present.
>
> > > You may want to leave them in the spfile at their non-zero values,
> > > however, in case you switch to shared server mode (or, remembering
> > > that an instance can do both shared- and dedicated-server mode at the
> > > same time, in case one or two of your users need to connect in shared
> > > mode).
>
> > > If you really want to get rid of the old parameters, don't just zero
> > > them out, though. Delete them from the spfile entirely:
>
> > > alter system reset sort_area_size scope=spfile sid='*';
>
> > > ...that way, the parameter still has a non-zero default value for
> > > those rare occasions when it might be needed.
>
> > Helpful advice, I wasn't aware of how to remove a parameter from a
> > SPFILE.
>
> > But, the _AREA_SIZE parameters are not silently ignored. In my
> > testing, the _AREA_SIZE parameters set the minimum values for those
> > memory areas, and Oracle is able to adjust the value of the parameter
> > upward as needed. If I recall correctly, SORT_AREA_SIZE may be
> > automatically adjusted up to 5% of the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET and
> > HASH_AREA_SIZE up to 10% of the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET. Prior to
> > implementing Oracle 10.2.0.2, I found one query that was sorting to
> > the temp tablespace under Oracle 10.2.0.2 (PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET set at
> > 4000MB, 5% = 200MB) that was not sorting to the temp tablespace under
> > Oracle 8.1.7.3 with a SORT_AREA_SIZE of 10MB. Oracle 10.2.0.2 was
> > apparently adjusting the SORT_AREA_SIZE to be just large enough for
> > the session to perform a one pass sort to disk. I bumped the
> > SORT_AREA_SIZE to 20MB, resulting in the elimination of the sort to
> > the temp tablespace.
>
> > Metalink Notes:223299.1, 223730.1 both agree with you that the
> > _AREA_SIZE parameters ARE silently ignored. But, those articles are
> > apparently wrong. A write-up by Burleson quoted contents of those
> > Metalink articles, which lead to the development of this article that
> > provides a test case that shows that the parameters are not ignored:http://www.jlcomp.demon.co.uk/untested.html
>
> > Charles Hooper
> > IT Manager/Oracle DBA
> > K&M Machine-Fabricating, Inc.
>
> Charles, I may be getting confused as to the point you're making.
>
> Jonathan's article says 'So the sort_area_size does have some
> relevance - even when all the new pga mechanisms are correctly
> enabled... ****IF***** ...you (like me) are running with shared
> servers (formerly multi-threaded servers) and know that for Oracle 9i,
> the older parameters are still used to limit the memory that gets
> allocated in the SGA (which is where the UGA is going to be held when
> using shared servers)."
>
> Jonathan is using Shared Servers. In 9i and early 10g, shared servers
> absolutely relied on SORT_AREA_SIZE. That's why my earlier advice was
> [...]
I meant to add that in that article, Jonathan **does** go on to use a dedicated server for testing... but he does so only to disprove an assertion made by the World's Greatest Oracle Database Expert that PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET cannot be set above 200MB: "So let's see if there is any difference between running the same query (through a **dedicated server** this time) with a pga_aggregate_target of 200MB, as opposed to a pga_aggregate_target of 500 MB, or 1000 MB."

I don't see him saying that _AREA_SIZE parameters are having an effect on his results at that particular point.

Regards
HJR Received on Thu Aug 16 2007 - 21:35:02 CDT