Re: Oracle Enterprise 10gR2 can't be installed on Windows XP/2003

From: EdStevens <quetico_man_at_yahoo.com>
Date: Wed, 15 Aug 2007 06:18:25 -0700

On Aug 14, 11:58 am, Thomas <thomas.zueh..._at_googlemail.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> i have solved the problem! You would never believe why the error
> occurs! The problem was a special character (@) or a number in my
> password and oracle doesn't seem to be able to transfere/decode/encode
> my password.
> I'm not sure why oracle can't use special characters. Could it be
> depends on the character set? (i used the default one WE8...)
>
> Thanks a lot and i hope my mistake helps others and helps to create a
> better version of the universal-installer.
> Thomas

Since Oracle specifically uses '@' to deliniate between username/ password and connect string, what do you suppose it happens when it parses out a password with that character?

Here's what it looks like for our well-know username of scott:

sql> connect scott/tiger_at_orcl

And here's what it looks like with a password of "abc_at_def"

sql> connect scott/abc_at_def@orcl

Hence, the suggestions to enclose the password in double-quotes. Personally, anytime I find myself having to work around any naming rules by using double quotes, I re-think what I'm having to quote. In this case, I'd just not use that special charactar. In fact, just last week I modified our password complexity routine to reject that particular special character. Received on Wed Aug 15 2007 - 08:18:25 CDT