Re: "Depreciated" Parameters In SPFILE

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:26:16 -0700

On Aug 15, 9:37 am, "Dereck L. Dietz" <diet..._at_ameritech.net> wrote:
> Oracle 10g 10.2.0.3, Windows 2003 Server
>
> This may seem an easy question but I can't seem to find an answer.
>
> If an Oracle instance is set up for automatic memory management and there
> are some parameters, such as bitmap_merge_area_size (etc) which are non-zero
> and which Oracle recommends using the PGA_AGGREGATE_TARGET instead ,should
> such parameters be zeroed out in the SPFILE?
>
> I know the manual says they aren't recommended except in Shared Server
> environments but what should be done in a Dedicated Server environment?
>
> Thanks.

The old _AREA_SIZE parameters are silently ignored if the new parameter is present.

You may want to leave them in the spfile at their non-zero values, however, in case you switch to shared server mode (or, remembering that an instance can do both shared- and dedicated-server mode at the same time, in case one or two of your users need to connect in shared mode).

If you really want to get rid of the old parameters, don't just zero them out, though. Delete them from the spfile entirely:

alter system reset sort_area_size scope=spfile sid='*';

...that way, the parameter still has a non-zero default value for those rare occasions when it might be needed. Received on Tue Aug 14 2007 - 22:26:16 CDT