Re: Oracle Enterprise 10gR2 can't be installed on Windows XP/2003

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 22:52:04 +0200

On Tue, 14 Aug 2007 09:58:17 -0700, Thomas <thomas.zuehlke_at_googlemail.com> wrote:

>Hi,
>
>i have solved the problem! You would never believe why the error
>occurs! The problem was a special character (@) or a number in my
>password and oracle doesn't seem to be able to transfere/decode/encode
>my password.
>I'm not sure why oracle can't use special characters. Could it be
>depends on the character set? (i used the default one WE8...)
>
>Thanks a lot and i hope my mistake helps others and helps to create a
>better version of the universal-installer.
>Thomas

If you use special characters you have to enclose the identifier or password in double quotes.
Oracle never shipped a BNF compatible stateful parser, it just scans the entire string for the @ sign, only inside a "" you are safe. Needless to say I think Oracle should revise their parser.

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA