Re: hash value - function

From: Maxim Demenko <mdemenko_at_gmail.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2007 20:02:01 +0200

ciapecki schrieb:
> Hi,
>
> Is there any function (10g) that would return a kind of hash value,
>
> I was thinking of getting one value for the whole table.
>
> My idea was to concatenate all the columns (5 columns there not very
> big around 10chars each) get a numerical hash value.
> Then group by primary_key, and get a sum or avg, or whatever.
>
> If the hash value would be big enough I could use it for comparing if
> two tables are the same of the content or not.
>
> the question is, if there is such a function, I could not find it that
> takes varchar2 and returns a value.
>
> thanks
> chris

I second the David's proposition to rethink the idea. Possible ways to solve this problem could be auditing on this table or dml trigger - if there is no dml expected ( or very little) - this will be much less resource consuming than periodically scan the whole table with some computation, regardless how this computation is implemented. On the other side, i wonder, what do you expect to achieve by doing group by operation by primary key...

Best regards

Maxim Received on Tue Aug 14 2007 - 13:02:01 CDT