Re: SYSAUX

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 13 Aug 2007 08:29:45 -0700

co4770_at_yahoo.com wrote:

> On Aug 13, 11:20 am, Terminator <kramakrishnab..._at_gmail.com> wrote:

>> On Aug 13, 10:58 am, co4..._at_yahoo.com wrote:
>>
>>> Is there a way to recreate SYSAUX tablespace in 10g, This is requred
>>> since I need to change extent size to smaller size to save space.
>>> Without recreating tablespace changing extent is not possible. Is
>>> there any work around to do the following.
>>> 1. Move entire contents of sysaux to a separate tablespace
>>> 2. Drop/create sysaux tablespace,
>>> 3. Move contents back to sysaux.
>>> Apreciate expertise.
>>> TIA
>> Which tablespace extent do you want to change.
>> Do you want to change the SYSAUX extent size or any other tablespace.
>>
>> Regards
>> Ramakrishna

> Yes, I want to change extent size of SYSAUX

If your motive is "to save space" find something else to do with your free time. You are dangerously close to trashing a database.

It won't save enough space to compensate for the amount of hard disk an hour of your salary would buy.

This is a bad idea in every sense of the word because you are not allowed to move the contents of SYSAUX except as specifically provided for by Oracle.

set linesize 121
col occupant_name format a40
col move_procedure format a40

select occupant_name, move_procedure
from gv$sysaux_occupants;

Note that many do not have a move procedure. There is a reason.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington