Re: Oracle Enterprise 10gR2 can't be installed on Windows XP/2003

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:18:00 +0200

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:03:22 -0700, Thomas <thomas.zuehlke_at_googlemail.com> wrote:

> [...]
>the init.ora file, there is no entry with the name "service_name". I
>have checked the LSNRCTL with "services":
>LSNRCTL> services
>Anmeldung bei (DESCRIPTION=(ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=IPC)(KEY=EXTPROC1)))
>Services bersicht...
>Dienst "PLSExtProc" hat 1 Instance(s).
> Instance "PLSExtProc", Status UNKNOWN, hat 1 Handler f³r diesen
>Dienst...
> Handler:
> "DEDICATED" eingerichtet:0 abgewiesen:0
> LOCAL SERVER
>Dienst "orcl" hat 1 Instance(s).
> Instance "orcl", Status READY, hat 1 Handler f³r diesen Dienst...
> Handler:
> "DEDICATED" festgelegt:0 abgelehnt:0 Status:ready
> LOCAL SERVER
>Dienst "orclXDB" hat 1 Instance(s).
> Instance "orcl", Status READY, hat 1 Handler f³r diesen Dienst...
> Handler:
> "D000" eingerichtet:0 abgewiesen:0 aktuell:0 max:1002
>Status:ready
> DISPATCHER <machine: WINXPCORPWORK, pid: 932>
> (ADDRESS=(PROTOCOL=tcp)(HOST=winxpcorpwork)(PORT=1039))
>Dienst "orcl_XPT" hat 1 Instance(s).
> Instance "orcl", Status READY, hat 1 Handler f³r diesen Dienst...
> Handler:
> "DEDICATED" festgelegt:0 abgelehnt:0 Status:ready
> LOCAL SERVER
>(sorry, but output is in german)
>The Service "PLSExtProc" has the status UNKNOWN, I think this the
>problem?
>
>The listener.ora file contains:
>SID_LIST_LISTENER =
> (SID_LIST =
> (SID_DESC =
> (SID_NAME = PLSExtProc)
> (ORACLE_HOME = C:\oracle\product\10.2.0\db)
> (PROGRAM = extproc)
> )
> )
>LISTENER =
> (DESCRIPTION_LIST =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = TCP)(HOST = winxpcorpwork)(PORT = 1521))
> )
> )
>
>And the tnsnames.ora contains:
>EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =
> (DESCRIPTION =
> (ADDRESS_LIST =
> (ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = EXTPROC1))
> )
> (CONNECT_DATA =
> (SID = PLSExtProc)
> (PRESENTATION = RO)
> )
> )
>
>I have changed a line in tnsnames.ora from "(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)
>(KEY = EXTPROC1))" to "(ADDRESS = (PROTOCOL = IPC)(KEY = PLSExtProc))"
>but i get another error. Then i have changed the line from
>"EXTPROC_CONNECTION_DATA =" to "EXTPROC1_CONNECTION_DATA =" and the
>installation doesn't continue for 2 hourse and i have canceled the
>"Oracle Database Configuration Assistant" again.
>Therefore i think the actual configuration is okay, but do i need an

OK, if there is no service_name = entry in init.ora the service_name defaults to the db_name parameter. The db_name parameter probably is oracle.
You should be able to get in with the following commands in a DOS box: set oracle_sid=orcl
sqlplus /nolog
connect / as sysdba (or, if that doesn't work and you didn't change any password) connect sys/change_on_install as sysdba. Now I need you to issue
show parameter service_name
write this down.

Your tnsnames,ora is incomplete. You need an extra entry The entry should read
oracle =

   (description =

     (address_list =
      (address= (protocol=tcp) (host=winxpcorpwork)(port=1521))
    )
    (connect_data=
      (service_name = <what you wrote down before>)    )
  )

Alternatively replace service_name= ... by sid_name=ORCL

Hth,

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA