Re: reorg of Oracle10g tablespace in offline mode

From: <sybrandb_at_hccnet.nl>
Date: Sun, 12 Aug 2007 23:09:28 +0200

On Sun, 12 Aug 2007 11:15:34 -0700, Joe <joe1977_at_tlen.pl> wrote:

>Question: what is: Reorganize Object functionality in Administration
>panel in EM ?

I have tried to use it only once, and for some reason the resulting job didn't run.
It probably is a combination of ALTER TABLE MOVE (which reinserts everything AND invalidates all indexes) followed by ALTER INDEX REBUILD.
As a result of this a table could be more densely packed. However: this kind of micromanagement usually doesn't result in any gain.
Also: in this particular database I made sure Auto Segment Space Management was enabled (as it is a RAC database, and I don't want one set of freelists per instance), and ASSM manages free space within a table more efficiently.

Hth

--
Sybrand Bakker
Senior Oracle DBA