Re: 11g Released Today

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 23:33:40 -0700

On Aug 10, 11:48 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Oracle released 11.1.0.6 on Linux today.
>
> The links for the 11g docs are on the psoug.org website ... click on the
> 11g icon (top center)
>
> The link to the download page is just below it.
>
> Morgan's Library has now been updated and contains substantial new 11g
> functionality including but not limited to:
>
> New native compilation capabilities
>
> New compound table triggers
>
> New CONTINUE statement for loops
>
> New DBMS_AUTO_TASK_ADMIN package
>
> New DBMS_HPROF hierarchical profiler ... and this is a gem
>
> New DBMS_NETWORK_ACL built-in packages that affect UTL_SMTP, UTL_MAIL,
> UTL_HTTP, UTL_INADDR and UTL_TCP capabilities
>
> More than 60 new parameters and procedures in DBMS_STATS
>
> New Result Cache and DBMS_RESULT_CACHE built in package and associated hint
>
> New FLASHBACK ARCHIVE that extends FLASHBACK QUERY, FLASHBACK TABLE, and
> FLASHBACK VERSION phenomenally. This is also referred to in market-speak
> as TOTAL RECALL: And it is.
>
> New Table Trigger FOLLOWS clause
>
> New INVISIBLE indexes
>
> A demonstration using the PARENT Correlation name with instead-of triggers
>
> New PL/SQL object settings
>
> New, and greatly enhanced, warning capabilities with DBMS_WARNING.
>
> New VIRTUAL table columns
>
> And if anyone cares to know ... this is not a promotional message for
> Morgan's Library as everyone here already knows it exists. This is a
> blatant promotional message for 11gR1 which I have now worked with for
> months and which is a wonderful enhancement that will keep Oracle the
> leader in commercial databases and keep all of us employed.
>
> In the my lab I currently have 11g running on five servers and have
> a 2 node RAC cluster that has been up for more than a month without a
> single issue.
>
> Thanks Mr. Townsend. Thanks. Mr. Hardie. And thanks to everyone that
> works with you. Great job.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

Just in case any Ubuntu users want to know how to install it:

http://www.dizwell.com/prod/node/929

(which is, I realise, a shameless promotional message for Dizwell!)

Personally, I don't see an awful lot to get excited about.

There are clearly some gems, aimed squarely at Enterprise Edition Data Warehouses. Finer-grained partitioning, for example, along with parallelised backups of large tablespaces.

There's a lot there for developers, too.

Virtual columns and invisible indexes are definitely useful

...but generally, I look at it and think: so? If you're not big-end of town, if you're not developing applications like crazy... there's really nothing as compelling as, say, ASM in 10g, automatic undo in 9i or LMTs in 8i.

That doesn't mean Daniel's enthusiasm is misplaced, incidentally; just that he's got a difference audience in mind, I think, than me. Received on Fri Aug 10 2007 - 01:33:40 CDT