Re: Jobs do not run

From: Martin T. <0xCDCDCDCD_at_gmx.at>
Date: Thu, 09 Aug 2007 06:57:32 +0200

vitalisman_at_gmail.com wrote:

> On 8 août, 12:42, "Martin T." <0xCDCDC..._at_gmx.at> wrote:

>> jonathan.salt..._at_gmail.com wrote:
>>> Some DBAs on this list need a reality check.
>>> In the real world Databases don't get upgraded at the drop of a hat -
>>> New patches sometimes introduce new issues.
>>> Upgrading takes lots of planning and testing, and based on the case
>>> mentioned I would not upgrade the database on the count that it might
>>> solve the issue, especially since it is not an issue anywhere else and
>>> not prior to today.
>>> Once you understand the root cause of the current issue, and you find
>>> out for certain that an upgrade will fix it (by testing elsewhere),
>>> then you need to upgrade.
>>> Jonathan
>> To wrap this up:
>>
>> What we did was the following (remember this is a test machine) ...
>> 1.) We exported the relevant Schema(s) data
>> 2.) Scratched instance (not Oracle binaries, only database file&config)
>> 3.) Recreated instance, System tablespaces etc. (Which incidentally
>> provided a good opportunity to check the creation scripts again)
>> 4.) Imported the Schema(s) data.
>>
>> Voila: Jobs run again.
>>
>> I wouldn't go so far as to call it a beautiful solution, but it
>> certainly was less hassle than patching (which may or may not have helped).
>
> Certainly??
> What would have been so time-consuming during the upgrade in
> comparison with these 4 tedious steps?
>
> It is a test db. I guess it was a good opportunity to upgrade.
> You'll try this out next time this bug reappears.

The problem with the upgrade is that if we update the test system, we also have to update all productions systems (>40) because we would like to run the same version in test as in production.

If this bug really should reappear, then we will certainly try to analyze it further ...

cheers,
Martin Received on Wed Aug 08 2007 - 23:57:32 CDT