Re: Oracle RAC VIP networking question

From: <hjr.pythian_at_gmail.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 20:10:36 -0700

On Aug 9, 6:17 am, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> tony.van.e..._at_xs4all.nl wrote:
> > DML will NOT be restarted!
>
> > regards, Tony van Esch
>
> Where did you get this erroneous piece of information?
>
> Look these up:
>
> (TYPE = SELECT)
> (METHOD = BASIC)
> (RETRIES = 180)
> (DELAY = 5)
>
> TAF and FCF do a lot more than just reconnect.
> --
> Daniel A. Morgan
> University of Washington

Er, the reason it's called 'TYPE=SELECT' is because TAF will resume **select** statements after failing the connection over to a surviving node. But a select statement is not "DML", and therefore the earlier poster was entirely correct and the information is NOT erroneous. TAF can not resume pending DML statements, end of story.

Except that in 10g, you have the choice of using TAF or of using the all-new, all-singing Fast Application Notification mechanism, using Oracle Notification Services... and the sky's the limit with FAN, including the resumption of pending DML statements. However, the difference between FAN and TAF is that TAF is all server-side magic and requires no application cleverness at all, whereas FAN will only work its particular brand of DML-resuming magic if the application is specifically aware to be aware of FAN capabilities.

Anyway, I digress. TAF can NOT do DML failover, as the earlier poster quite correctly stated. Received on Wed Aug 08 2007 - 22:10:36 CDT