Re: Cache Hit Ratio from system views

From: Teresa Masino <teresa.masino_at_peninsula.org>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 12:02:46 -0700

On Aug 8, 2:31 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> Teresa Masino wrote:
> > We have acquired a software package that sends alerts based on defined
> > thresholds and/or events. We are working on a simple alert like when
> > the cache hit ratio falls below a given threshold.
>
> Because you wanted to hurt yourself and there weren't any brick in the
> office you could drop on your toes? <g>

:-) yea, basically

> Here ...http://www.oracledba.co.uk/tips/choose.htm
> have any hit ratio you want any time you want.
>
> Hit ratio's are meaningless.

Alone, yea, but they can sometimes be an indicator that an instance needs attention. I wouldn't change anything based on just this, but it would tell us to maybe take a closer look and run AWR or statspack. For us, this was supposed to be an easy thing to test setting up alerts -- at least we thought it was. Then this boondoggle began. Then I got curious, which is just another way of saying I started looking for a brick. :-)

Thanks
Teresa