Re: EXP Parameters to take backup of 110 GB database

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 11:42:44 -0700

On Aug 8, 3:46 am, GD <goran99_rem..._at_yahoo.com> wrote:
> sybra..._at_hccnet.nl wrote:
> > On Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:18:23 +0200, Alexander Skwar
> > <alexan..._at_skwar.name> wrote:
>
> >> Maybe he has and maybe he came to the conclusion, that RMAN isn't
> >> required? As you know, there are such situations - but you'll of
> >> course happily ignore this.
>
> >> Alexander Skwar
>
> > *Professional* DBAs use RMAN. But then of course you are not a
> > professional DBA. Heck, you are not even a DBA. You are just a troll
> > on a hobby horse.
>
> Isn't RMAN just one way to perform backup and recovery, not the only
> way? Why do you think that using user-managed backup and recovery is not
> professional? Are all the people doing user-managed backup (for example
> using storage features) trolls or just not professionals?

It's true that RMAN is just one way. A professional will evaluate the situation, create a proper service level agreement, and test and implement to the agreement. Most situations involving transactions will be best served by RMAN.

Where it becomes unprofessional is when SLA's are not used, or in some cases are not reevaluated in a timely manner or otherwise have an insufficient evaluation.

Now, I think Sybrand and Daniel are being overly harsh on Alex. On the other hand, there have been times when I've disagreed with their evaluation of trolls, only to be proved wrong. To me it looks like Alex is in a typical situation of being an experienced professional without RMAN experience turning a critical eye on RMAN. I don't think there is anything wrong with that, where he provides a replicable critique. RMAN isn't perfect - to me it has the smell of a last gasp of the VMS way of doing things. That's not a bad thing, but in a more modern context it can look bad. And much as Larry would like everything to be in the db, that's just not the entire real world.

Maybe Alexander should just go off and immerse himself in Robert Freeman's RMAN book for a while. Freeman does have a blog and is active in some other online fora, perhaps he can better answer the specific questions that have just been irritants around here. oraclel  has a slightly different constitution than here, maybe Alex should ask there (and I mean no disrepect to anyone by that, I think there is a lot of good stuff there).

When did oracle-l become unmoderated? http://www.freelists.org/list/oracle-l :-)

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
"Don't read this book if you don't need it. That's like going to a 3-D