Re: Oracle RAC VIP networking question

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Wed, 08 Aug 2007 00:11:15 -0700

On Aug 8, 5:51 am, keith..._at_comcast.net wrote:
> I understand a little better now. We have given up on the isolated
> batch failover piece. So from a VIP perspective for Oracle 10gR2,
> our public facing RAC VIP's (per node) are what the clients have
> configured in their conncetion list and are used accordingly depending
> on the state of the cluster. I thought that I just read that during a
> failover, the failed VIP moves to another node and just simply informs
> clients that it is no longer receiving connections when they try to
> connect that VIP (IP address). I'm assuming this then instructs the
> client to use the next connection name in the list on another node.
>
> I'm still not real familar on the concept of the "application" VIP.
> According to what Cristian stated earlier (cluster vip) it appears to
> be for application servers (and not client) in the Oracle environment?
>
> Thanks
> Keith

Initially i didn't understand well what you said. So for your problem i think
that's more relevant what Daniel and Tony hava told you. Cluster VIPs that you can add with Oracle clusterware from 10gR2 is a method to
use Oracle Clusterware as an HA software, this document http://www.oracle.com/technology/products/database/clustering/pdf/twp_oracleclusterware3rdparty%5B1%5D.pdf explains well the concept.
Maybe, but this is only a bad trick, you can add VIPs for your isolatet batch subnet on
every node and then add other listeners, but as Oracle Suppord has already told you
this i not supported by Oracle.

Regards

Cristian Cudizio
http://oracledb.wordpress.com