Re: Oracle RAC VIP networking question

From: <tony.van.esch_at_xs4all.nl>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 08:50:12 -0700

Hi,

the VIP in an Oracle RAC cluster is purely for fast connection failover (avoiding the TCP timeout) and therefore needs one for every node in the cluster. Applications should connect through a connection description that lists all available VIPS, but more importantly applications should connect through a service name. If users connect through an application to the Oracle RAC database you could configure the application server to communicate through the batch subnet for OracleNet traffic. This implies that for all RAC nodes the batch subnet is its 'public' subnet. This way the RAC nodes don't need to be connected to the public subnet at all. The application server needs a public subnet and the batch subnet.

To be able to connect to the RAC database directly from a workstation (assuming its only on the public subnet), you can configure Oracle Connection Manager on a server which has public and batch subnet access. But I would only use that for 'management' stuff, not for application connections.

regards,
Tony van Esch