Re: Oracle RAC VIP networking question

From: Cristian Cudizio <cristian.cudizio_at_yahoo.it>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 06:49:36 -0700

On Aug 7, 3:21 pm, keith..._at_comcast.net wrote:
> Our Unix/DBA team opened a case with Oracle yesterday evening and
> Oracle Tech Support indicated the following:
>
> More than one VIP is not supported by Oracle.
> But still if you want to have more than one VIP, you can opt for
> network bonding.
> For that you may ask your network administrator to establish network
> bonding.
> Ultimately Oracle should see only one VIP.
>
> So... I would assume their support knows their product. Does anyone
> know what "network bonding" means?

until few minutes ago i thought that network bonding was a system to make
work two NICs as one, not 2 VIPs on one NIC, but i'm not system administrator.
In my opinion what Oracle Support says is that you cannot configure listeners to
listen to more than one VIP. It seems to me that what manual (http://download.oracle.com/docs/cd/B19306_01/rac.102/b14197/ crschp.htm#sthref733) says is that
you can configure a cluster VIP for your application using Oracle Clusterware (from 10gR2). In this case
Cluster VIP is what you initially intended for VIP that is an High Available VIP that is active on only one node. The VIPs configured and used by RAC are another thing that must be used only to configure
database clients.
Maybe that i've not well understood your need because i've not well understood if you are talking about
NIC or subnets.

Regards

Cristian Cudizio
http://oracledb.wordpress.com