Re: Non DBA very confused about moving a database to new host

From: gazzag <gareth_at_jamms.org>
Date: Tue, 07 Aug 2007 05:55:03 -0700

On 7 Aug, 13:30, "L C" <lccro..._at_hotmail.com> wrote:
> "Bob Jones" <em..._at_me.not> wrote in message

> > "L C" <lccro..._at_hotmail.com> wrote in message
>
> > > "Cristian Cudizio" <cristian.cudi..._at_yahoo.it> wrote in message

> confused
> > > just
> > > the

> of
> > > times

> > > Thanks for the replies.
>
> > > I will try to answer the questions asked me in recent posts
>
> > > To answer Dan
> > > I am just trying to move my Oracle database to a new machine. From a 2k
> > > server to 2003. And the Oracle directory is on "d" on the new server
> not
> > > "c" like the old.
>
> > > To answer Josh
> > > I tried to export but is just lists it as failed. It doesn't even create
> > > log file. That's what started this.
>
> > > To answer Howard
> > > I confused myself, but I am going to read your post
>
> > > I think I was going between RMAN and SQLPlus.
> > > I had read so many different things over the course of the weekend I was
> > > getting my self confused.
> > > I have had a few hours sleep so I am going to give it a try again today.
> > > Fortunately I don't need to have this completed till Aug 12th.
>
> > > Thanks
>
> > Dude, why would you want to read stuff from different places, when it is
> > clearly explained in the manual? No wonder you are confused.
>
> Thanks for the informative post Bob. I appreciate the help.- Hide quoted text -

Look into generating a backup controlfile with the following command:

ALTER DATABASE BACKUP CONTROLFILE TO TRACE; This will generate a text file containing the SQL to recreate a controlfile in yor USER_DUMP_DEST directory. Edit this file to create a script that refererences the location of the new files. You can then STARTUP NOMOUNT and run this script which will create your new controlfile. You should then be able to open the database.

HTH -g Received on Tue Aug 07 2007 - 07:55:03 CDT