Re: RAC fail-over with an instance in MOUNT status

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:43:05 -0700

vitalisman_at_gmail.com wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> This is RAC 10gR2.
> In a basic fail-over configuration, with no cluster managed database
> service configured and with client-side fail-over enabled, I've
> noticed that no fail-over occurs whenever an instance is in MOUNT
> status and a connection is unfortunately directed to this instance.
> The client just gets a "shutdown in progress" error message. So if the
> application does not implement a fail-over at an upper level, the end-
> user will receive an error in spite of other instances being
> available.

How do you get an end-user connection when a database is mounted and not opened?

> I have not done a lot of research on this subjet yet. But does anybody
> know of a simple solution to this problem? I mean, a configuration
> that won't need to be changed when an instance is brought to the MOUNT
> status (e.g. no listener shutdown ou reconfiguration...)

See the question above.

If you are starting and stopping node instances with crsctl, as you should be, please explain the business situation in which you would have an issue.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington