Re: Rainbust your DBA; crack Oracle "system" password in mere minutes

From: joel garry <joel-garry_at_home.com>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 11:30:48 -0700

On Aug 3, 6:21 am, gazzag <gar..._at_jamms.org> wrote:
> On 3 Aug, 13:31, Steve Howard <stevedhow..._at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
> > *Anyone* stupid enough to send money to someone like that is not being
> > "victimized"...they do it to themselves.
>
> I'm inclined to agree, Steve. This is merely an extension of natural
> selection really, isn't it? ;-)

No, because there is no feedback into the loop, and the consequences to the victim appear to be minimal. But they may not be minimal.

I'm no fan of nanny-statism, but I do think lack of information does not imply stupidity. The essence of a scam is to leverage greed through misdirection. The greed could be stupid, but the misdirection _is_ victimization. It is appropriate for a society to prevent victimization. How to prevent it is what we need to figure out. It's a hard problem for cyberspace.

jg

--
@home.com is bogus.
http://www.mydeathspace.com/