Oracle RAC VIP networking question

From: <keithdew_at_comcast.net>
Date: Mon, 06 Aug 2007 06:52:25 -0700

I work in networking and our Unix group is implementing their first Oracle RAC cluster. I have been assisting with this implementation and have a few questions.

The Oracle RAC VIP - I'm familiar with the concept of VIP's but a question has arisen that our UNIX and DBA's on the project are indicating that the RAC cluster appears to only support one VIP (per cluster) on the public facing NIC. However, the application we are installing warrants another NIC to service an isolated batch processing network that is totally independent from client public access. We need to create a second VIP that "listens" for the batch application on this isolated subnet. So this would be a total of 3 NIC's (public, private and isolated batch) per server. Can RAC be implemented with a second VIP?

What RAC networking protocols are utilized? That is, what ICMP/TCP/ UDP protocols are used on the public network to maintain RAC state? And, are there any network protocols on the Oracle private network?

Also, if anyone knows of any Oracle documents or white papers that speaks to the networking piece of RAC that would help as well.

Thanks
Keith Received on Mon Aug 06 2007 - 08:52:25 CDT