Re: Non DBA very confused about moving a database to new host

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Sun, 05 Aug 2007 22:09:22 -0700

L C wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I asked a similar questions a few days ago and I got even more confused
> trying the solutions they gave me. I am sure they are correct, I am just
> spun in a circle.
> What I have :
> Oracle 9.2.0.1.0
> Old Machine W2k database lives in C:\oracle\ordata\prod ( I can shut the
> database down and do a full copy if need be
> New Machine 2003 server database will live in D:\oracle\ordata\prod
>
> I have read many many posts and the RMAN part of the manual a bunch of times
> and I keep getting errors.
>
> When I do the rename file part do I rename every .dbf file?
>
> Also to review my steps.
> copy all of datafiles to new machine - delete the control files
>
> Using SQLPlus do the following:
> Start instance in mount
> rename datafiles
> open database reset logs
>
> Thanks for the help
>
> Larry

Now you confused me too. Does this have something to do with RMAN? What? What does renaming have to do with anything?

What is it you are actually trying to do? Don't try to explain using anything Oracle or technological ... state the business problem using business language.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington