Re: changing pswds of standard accounts

From: DA Morgan <damorgan_at_psoug.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 23:58:34 -0700

EdStevens wrote:
> On Aug 3, 3:05 pm, DA Morgan <damor..._at_psoug.org> wrote:
> <snip>
>

>> I am not aware of a single Oracle password that can not be changed at
>> will provided you haven't hard coded it into shell scripts and the like.
>> And if you have fix the scripts.
>> --
>> Daniel A. Morgan
>> University of Washington
>> damor..._at_x.washington.edu (replace x with u to respond)
>> Puget Sound Oracle Users Groupwww.psoug.org

> True. What I'm looking for here is where those hard-coded locations
> might be for *oracle created* accounts. I've found documentation on
> MetaLink for DBSNMP, SYSMAN, and now MGMT_VIEW that require mods to
> some config files in addition to the simple ALTER USER .... Just
> don't want to overlook any.
>
> Have already locked accounts that the "home office" says are not
> needed, and turned on session auditing for use of CREATE SESSION on
> those accounts.

The hard coded locations are irrelevant if you've done the basics.

Set RESOURCE_LIMIT = TRUE in your spfile. Alter the default profile to force password complexity. Alter the default profile to force password expiration. Change every password on an unlocked account. Anything that doesn't work ... you'll know why.

Why not look for the hard-coded locations first? Because stupid people do stupid things. There is no logic ... there is no rhyme or reason. The first responsibility is to protect the data not people's egos.

--
Daniel A. Morgan
University of Washington