Re: Google Groups and Message-Ids

From: Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>
Date: Fri, 03 Aug 2007 16:53:15 +0200

Alexander Skwar schrieb:
> ยท Volker Hetzer <firstname.lastname_at_ieee.org>:
>

>> Alexander Skwar schrieb:

>>> Sure.
>>>
>>> See thread at <news:6491378.fGlmkVyoaZ_at_kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>
>>> and also <news:1240493.UQgxmLvFx2_at_kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info>.
>> What do I do with this?
>> google groups doesn't recognize those strings.

> Uhm? Google Groups *does* recognize those strings.
If you read the message in GG then yes, you can click on it and it works.
If you read it in Thunderbird and click on it, nothing happens. If you use "copy link" in thunderbird, the string gets mangled so that, when you paste it into the search box nothing is found:
news:1240493.UQgxmLvFx2_at_kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info gets turned into
news://1240493%2EUQgxmLvFx2@kn.gn.rtr.message-center.info/ . (Observe the first dot changing into %2E.). But that's not your fault. In an ideal world, clicking on the message in thunderbird should fetch and open the correct message.

Lots of Greetings!
Volker

--
For email replies, please substitute the obvious.